1. How to add an APM Insight Monitor?
After you deploy APM Insight agent in your Application Server with suitable Applications Manager credentials in apminsight.conf, APM Insight monitors will be added automatically when Application Server is started.
2. I have added APM Insight Agent in my Application Server with the correct credentials in apminsight.conf, but still i don't see any APM Insight monitors getting added in Applications Manager?.
- Check if you have restarted /started the Application Server where you have deployed the agent.
- If you have restarted/started the Application Server and still it not get added, check the communication between APM Insight Agent and Applications Manager.
- Specify Proxy server configuration when there is a proxy server between APM Insight agent and Applications Manager server.
It should display the login page of Applications Manager. Check with your network administrators if you are not able to see the login page, it may be because the port has to be opened in firewall.
Check whether any proxy server is configured in the browser and specify those values in apminsight.conf
3. After APM Insight monitors gets added, why is the Availability and Health status still in Not updated state?
APM Insight Availability and Health attributes will only be updated after one minute of your monitor addition.
4. Will Availability and Health attributes will be updated for every one minute interval ?
No, by default it will be updated after five minutes. Only for the very first time (after monitor addition), it will be updated after one minute.
5. Can I change the default attribute update interval from 5 minute to my own interval ?
Yes. You can change the update time to your convenient value.
To do this go to Applications Manager home > working > apminsight >conf > apminsight.properties
Enter your convenient interval time(in minutes) for the key attribute.update.timeinterval
6. Availability of APM Insight Monitor shows Up, But I still can't see any data. why?
One Possible reason is that, no web transactions might have taken place in your Application Server.
7. No data is shown in Application Manger, though web transaction is taking place in the Application server(where the agent is deployed). why?
After every one minute, agent will push the metric data to the Applications Manager. So you can see the data after one minute(network traffic delay excluded)
If you don't see the data even after one minute, it will be due to network problem where you should pay attention.
8. Availability of APM Insight Monitor shows down. What does it mean?
It means, either your application server is down or the communication between the agent & application server is not good.
9. Can I configure thresholds & alarms to the apdex, response time metric that I have received?
Yes, you can configure your customized threshold values as you configure for other Applications Manager monitors.
10. What is the maximum history of metric data that I can view?
11. Can I view the trace of a web transaction that consumes more response time?
Yes, all slow web transactions traces will be available under the APM Insight Traces tab.
12. Why don't I see any traces of a web transaction which I thought to be very slow.
You might have disabled trace collection in your Agent. Enable trace collection by setting true for the key transaction.trace.enabled.
Also, a web transaction is decided to be a slowest transaction based on your threshold value set for the key transaction.trace.threshold. (specified in seconds)
13. Why don't I don't see any metrics under database tab ?
You might have disabled SQL Query listening in your Agent. Enable it by setting true for the key sql.capture.enabled
14. Can I group more than one instance under an Application Name. If yes, how?
Yes. You can group more than one instances under a Application Name. To do this, while deploying the agent in application sever, specify the same application name for key application.name
15. Can I rename the Application Name, thus created in Applications Manager?
No. Application Name cannot be renamed.
16. Can I compare metrics across all/selective instances?
17. Can I move an Instance under one Application to another Application?
18. Will I be able to view all the APM Insight graphs, charts if my browser doesn't have flash installed?
Yes. You can view all the graphs even if your browser doesn't have flash installed. In such a case, graph will be rendered as java scripts.
19. Where can I see the list of all web transactions sorted by its average response time?
You can see under APM Insight Web Transaction tab with sorting value 'slowest average response time''.
20. How can I temporarily stop the APM Insight metric collection?
Metric Collection can be stopped by UnManaging the APM Insight Monitor.