Real User Monitor (RUM) - Troubleshooting
If the monitor has not polled data for a long time, follow the steps below for troubleshooting:
Step 1: Check prerequisites to be done
Real User Monitor requires the RUM Agent to be installed and mapped to the Applications Manager.
- Verify if the script generated in the respective RUM monitor details page is placed correctly on the webpage intended to be monitored.
- Verify if the RUM agent protocol, host name and port are specified correctly in the script in the below line.
- Replace "agentprotocol" with the RUM Agent protocol 'http' or 'https' , based on the protocol to be used for collecting and sending data from end users to the RUM Agent. By default, RUM Agent supports only the HTTP protocol. To enable HTTPS, refer to the documentation for instructions..
- Replace "agenthost" with the hostname where the RUM Agent is installed.
- Replace "agentport" with the port number in which the RUM Agent is running. The port number should correspond to the agent protocol.
RUM Agent should be accessible to the end users visiting the webpage. You can check if RUM Agent is accessible or not by accessing http://agenthost:agentport in browser. Replace protocol, host and port with the agent details specified as in script.
If the above prerequisites have been correctly completed, troubleshoot using the following steps.
Step 2: Check for connectivity error messages
2.a. Check for error messages in the RUM Agent web console (Applicable for RUM Agent version 3.5 and above).
- Access the RUM Agent web console by opening (http://agenthost:agentport) in a browser.
- Check the connectivity status message.
2.b. Verify the response of RUMScript.js
- Open any browser and then open its developer tool, Click Networks tab and search for "rum" in the developer tool.
- Access the webpage in which the script is placed i.e. webpage that is monitored in Applications Manager.
- Request for RUMScript.js to RUM Agent should be sent successfully. Check the response of the RUMScript.js.
- If the request is not found please place the script properly and provide correct agent details in script as mentioned in above prerequisites.
Step 3: Troubleshoot using the provided error message
APPMANAGER NOT REACHABLE
Check if AppManager is accessible from the machine where RUM Agent is installed.
- Verify AppManager details provided in AppServer.properties file located under <RUMAgent_Home>/conf/ directory.
- Refer the KB to know how to change AppManager details in RUM Agent.
- If Proxy is required to communicate with AppManager configure the same by referring the KB.
- Check if RUM Agent is compatible for AppManager.
- Make sure you use compatible version of RUM Agent for AppManager. Refer the download page to know the compatibility matrix.
- Provide valid RUM API Key in AppServer.properties by referring the KB.
- RUM API Key will present in Settings -> REST API -> Real User Monitor in Applications Manager.
- Real User Monitor is not supported in Free edition of Applications Manager.
- You need to purchase an license or use trial edition of Applications Manager.
RUM ADD-ON NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED
- You need to purchase an RUM addon for enabling RUM data collection. Refer the help page for pricing details.
AGENT MAPPING FAILED or INTERNAL ERROR
- Internal server error. Share SIF to analyze the issue.
PAGE VIEWS QUOTA EXCEEDED
- We allow only certain amount of page views per month based on the license purchased.
- When the page views have exceeded the limit allowed per month "PAGE VIEWS QUOTA EXCEEDED" message will be shown and data collection will be stopped.
- Page views used count will be reset to zero on every month start.
- Data collection will begin once page views used count is reset.
Purchase license based on your customer base to avoid above case.
KEY NOT FOUND
- Restart RUM Agent and check again.
- Above message can also be seen when RUM Agent is trying to fetch monitor details from Applications Manager on RUM Agent startup. Wait till RUM Agent fetches RUM monitor details from AppManager.
- Above message will be shown when the respective monitor is deleted in AppManager or key has been modified in the script injected in the webpage.
- Note down the RUM monitor key from the script displayed in respective monitor details page in Copy Script Tab. Sample key AfHowG5D62YOiWQHXp84DpV8eC2waN2E10000217. Search for the same key in the script injected in the web page. If the key has been modified replace it with the exact key shown in respective monitor details page in Copy Script Tab.
Note : If the RUM monitor is mapped to specific RUM Agent, data collection can happen only in that specific agent.
MONITOR IS EITHER UNMANAGED OR UNDER MAINTENANCE IN APPMANAGER
- Monitor is either in unmanaged state or under maintenance (downtime scheduled for the monitor) in AppManager
- Manage the monitor in AppManager or wait until the data collection gets resumed after downtime for the monitor.
Note: After making above changes if the data collection did not begin restart RUM Agent once and check the issue.
- Placing multiple scripts in same webpage. It will affect RUM data collection.
- Placing same script in multiple webpages. It will populate multiple webpage data in single monitor from where the script was taken.
- Don't keep Applications Manager server down for long time. Applications Manager should be up for continuous data collection.
Other Help Links :
- RUM Agent FAQS
- How to get ISP data in Real User Monitor?
- How to enable HTTPS connection between end user and RUM Agent?
New to ADSelfService Plus?
How to get ISP data in Real User Monitor?
The default setting of the Real User Monitor does not display ISP data for the end user. To obtain ISP data, you have the option to use a third-party Geolocation API. Currently, RUM exclusively supports APIs that provide responses in JSON format. ...
Self monitor Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring
We can monitor the Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring with a Java Script injection and this can be used to measure the Applications Manager's performance continuously. All you need is to install and setup the Real User Monitoring (RUM) ...
How to enable HTTPS connection between end user and RUM Agent?
By default end user data will be collected and sent via HTTP connection to RUM Agent. To enable HTTPS connection you should have an valid SSL Certificate (keystore file basically), not a self signed certificate. Open the AppServer.properties file ...
Real User Monitoring Agent - Frequently asked questions
How to change Applications Manager details in RUM Agent? Open the AppServer.properties file located under <RUMAgent_Home>/conf/ directory in any text editor. Update Applications Manager hostname in apm.host key. Update Applications Manager SSL Port ...
Troubleshooting URL Monitor
Here are few of the common errors you may come across in URL monitor, we have mentioned the steps you can follow to troubleshoot them. General troubleshooting for URL monitor Ensure that the URL is accessible from the server in which Applications ...