Real User Monitor (RUM) - Troubleshooting
If the monitor has not polled data for long time. Follow below steps for troubleshooting
Check prerequisites to done :
- Real User Monitor requires RUM Agent to be installed and mapped to Applications Manager.
- Refer the help page to know how to setup RUM Agent for Real User Monitoring.
- Verify if the script generated in respective RUM monitor details page is placed correctly in the webpage that is intended to be monitored.
- Verify if RUM agent protocol, host name and port are specified correctly in the script in below line.
- Replace agentprotocol with RUM Agent protocol http or https based on the protocol to be used for collecting and sending data from end users to RUM Agent. By default RUM Agent supports only http protocol to enable https refer the KB for help.
- Replace agenthost with hostname where the RUM Agent is installed.
- Replace agentport with port number in which the RUM Agent is running. Port number should be based on the agent protocol. RUM agent default http port is 8080 and default SSL port is 8444. To change the default ports refer the KB for help.
RUM Agent should be accessible to the end users visiting the webpage. You can check if RUM Agent is accessible or not by accessing http://agenthost:agentport in browser. Replace protocol, host and port with the agent details specified as in script.
If above prerequisites are done correctly check RUMScript.js response for troubleshooting.
Troubleshoot with RUMScript.js response :
- Open any browser and then open its developer tool, Click Networks tab and search for "rum" in the developer tool.
- Access the webpage in which the script is placed i.e. webpage that is monitored in Applications Manager.
- Request for RUMScript.js to RUM Agent should be sent successfully. Check the response of the RUMScript.js.
- If the request is not found please place the script properly and provide correct agent details in script as mentioned in above prerequisites.
When the response is any of the below follow the steps given below it for troubleshooting.
APPMANAGER NOT REACHABLE
- Check if AppManager is accessible from the machine where RUM Agent is installed.
- Verify AppManager details provided in AppServer.properties file located under <RUMAgent_Home>/conf/ directory.
- Refer the KB to know how to change AppManager details in RUM Agent.
- If Proxy is required to communicate with AppManager configure the same by referring the KB.
- Check if RUM Agent is compatible for AppManager.
- Make sure you use compatible version of RUM Agent for AppManager. Refer the download page to know the compatibility matrix.
- Provide valid RUM API Key in AppServer.properties by referring the KB.
- RUM API Key will present in Admin -> REST API -> Real User Monitor in Applications Manager.
- Real User Monitor is not supported in Free edition of Applications Manager.
- You need to purchase an license or use trial edition of Applications Manager.
RUM ADD-ON NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED
- You need to purchase an RUM addon for enabling RUM data collection. Refer the help page for pricing details.
AGENT MAPPING FAILED or INTERNAL ERROR
- Internal server error. Share SIF to analyze the issue.
PAGE VIEWS QUOTA EXCEEDED
- We allow only certain amount of page views per month based on the license purchased.
- When the page views have exceeded the limit allowed per month "PAGE VIEWS QUOTA EXCEEDED" message will be shown and data collection will be stopped.
- Page views used count will be reset to zero on every month start.
- Data collection will begin once page views used count is reset.
Purchase license based on your customer base to avoid above case.
KEY NOT FOUND
- Restart RUM Agent and check again.
- Above message can also be seen when RUM Agent is trying to fetch monitor details from Applications Manager on RUM Agent startup. Wait till RUM Agent fetches RUM monitor details from AppManager.
- Above message will be shown when the respective monitor is deleted in AppManager or key has been modified in the script injected in the webpage.
- Note down the RUM monitor key from the script displayed in respective monitor details page in Copy Script Tab. Sample key AfHowG5D62YOiWQHXp84DpV8eC2waN2E10000217. Search for the same key in the script injected in the web page. If the key has been modified replace it with the exact key shown in respective monitor details page in Copy Script Tab.
Note : If the RUM monitor is mapped to specific RUM Agent, data collection can happen only in that specific agent.
MONITOR IS EITHER UNMANAGED OR UNDER MAINTENANCE IN APPMANAGER
- Monitor is either in unmanaged state or under maintenance (downtime scheduled for the monitor) in AppManager
- Manage the monitor in AppManager or wait until the data collection gets resumed after downtime for the monitor.
Note: After making above changes if the data collection did not begin restart RUM Agent once and check the issue.
- Placing multiple scripts in same webpage. It will affect RUM data collection.
- Placing same script in multiple webpages. It will populate multiple webpage data in single monitor from where the script was taken.
- Don't keep Applications Manager server down for long time. Applications Manager should be up for continuous data collection.
Other Help Links :
- RUM Agent FAQS
- How to get ISP data in Real User Monitor?
- How to enable HTTPS connection between end user and RUM Agent?
New to ADSelfService Plus?
Self monitor Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring
We can monitor the Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring with a Java Script injection and this can be used to measure the Applications Manager's performance continuously. All you need is to install and setup the Real User Monitoring (RUM) ...
How to get ISP data in Real User Monitor?
By default, Real User Monitor does not show ISP data of end user. To get ISP data, you can make use of any third-party Geolocation API. Currently, RUM supports only APIs that return the response in JSON format. When you have purchased any Geolocation ...
How to enable HTTPS connection between end user and RUM Agent?
By default end user data will be collected and sent via HTTP connection to RUM Agent. To enable HTTPS connection you should have an valid SSL Certificate (keystore file basically), not a self signed certificate. Open the AppServer.properties file ...
Real User Monitoring Agent - Frequently asked questions
How to change Applications Manager details in RUM Agent? Open the AppServer.properties file located under <RUMAgent_Home>/conf/ directory in any text editor. Update Applications Manager hostname in apm.host key. Update Applications Manager SSL Port ...
Troubleshooting URL Monitor
Here are few of the common errors you may come across in URL monitor, we have mentioned the steps you can follow to troubleshoot them. General troubleshooting for URL monitor Ensure that the URL is accessible from the server in which Applications ...