Security Question & Answer is one of the multi-factor authentication methods supported by ADSelfService Plus. In this method, you can configure security questions, such as “What are the last 5 digits of your secondary mobile number?” and “What is the middle name of your favorite artist?,” for which end users have to enter their answers. Apart from such predefined security questions, you can also configure your own custom questions.
However, if you have set the product language to one of the non-English languages supported by ADSelfService Plus, and if you want to add a custom security question, which contains special characters, you may sometimes get an error. In such cases, you can manually edit the Application Resource file in the installation directory of ADSelfService Plus and add the question.
To add your own custom security question in a non-English language:
- Convert your custom translated questions into Unicode text format.
- Go to the <installation_directory>/resources/adssp folder (by default: C:/ManageEngine/ADSelfService Plus/resources/adssp).
- Open the ApplicationResources_xx_XX file in a text editor, where xx_XX denotes the language as shown below.
en_GB: British English
pt_BR: Brazilian Portgual
en_US: American English
fr_CA: Canadian French
4. Add an entry for each question you want to add anywhere in the file:
Here, the LHS part (adssp.custom.question1) denotes the key name and RHS part (Unicode text) denotes the key value, which is the custom translated question converted into Unicode format.
5. Save the file and close it.
6. Restart the ADSelfService Plus server.
7. Go to Configuration > Self-Service > Multi-factor Authentication.
8. Under Authenticators Setup, click Security Question & Answer.
9. Click Edit Questions. 10. Enter the key name and click the plus (+) symbol.
11. Click Save.
That’s it! You will be able to see the custom translated question in the list of questions. You can now make that question mandatory for enrollment or modify it further without any issues.