The Chromebook is Google's low-cost alternative to traditional laptops. Unlike Windows, macOS, and Linux machines, a Chromebook runs on the Chrome OS. Users can login to their Chromebook using their AD domain credentials, if their device has been integrated with the respective AD domain.
ManageEngine ADSelfService Plus allows Chromebook users to reset their passwords or unlock their accounts without help desk assistance, right from their logon screens. IT admins need to follow these steps to integrate ADSelfService Plus with Chromebook, and enable self-service password management for Chromebook users.
How to enable self-service password reset and unlock account in the logon screen for Chromebook users
Before you begin, you must have ADSelfService Plus installed and configured with the AD domain in which your Chromebook users are present.
Chromebook configuration steps
- Log in to Google Admin console as an administrator.
- Go to Devices > Chrome > Apps & extensions > Kiosks.
- In Kiosks, click Add by URL (the "globe" symbol) found at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- In the Add by URL window that pops up, enter your ADSelfService Plus server's URL for password reset/account unlock in the URL field. For instance, the URL to be entered might look something like https://demo.adselfserviceplus.com/html/ResetUnlock.html where demo.adselfserviceplus.com will be the access URL of your ADSelfService Plus server.
- Click SAVE.
- The Add by URL pop-up closes and the added URL is displayed under the Kiosks tab.
- To test whether Chromebook users can now reset their passwords or unlock their accounts from the logon screen, access one of the users' devices and go to the logon screen.
- On the logon screen, click Apps found at the bottom left corner. When you do this, the ADSelfService Plus button will display right above it.
- Clicking ADSelfService Plus opens the Reset Password/Unlock Account wizard, from which users can reset their password or unlock their account using the self-service admin portal.
Chromebook users should now be able to reset their password or unlock their account easily from their logon screens.