IIS Server monitor - Troubleshooting steps
Unable to add IIS Server monitor
Follow the below given below to add an IIS server monitor in Applications Manager:
- First, check whether all the prerequisites are done.
- Check the IIS Server URL is accessible from Applications Manager server.
- If your environment requires the use of a proxy server to access IIS Server URL ( http(s)://[Host/IP]:[PORT] ), then configure the same in Applications Manager. To know how to configure proxy in Applications Manager, click here. For IIS Server URL related error messages, refer here.
- If proxy is configured in Applications Manager and if you want to bypass the IIS Server host/IP from routing through the proxy then add the host/IP under " Do not use proxy for addresses beginning with " column in the same ' Configure Proxy ' page in Admin tab > "Connectivity" under " Product Settings " and click " Proxy Server ".
- From v15120 of Applications Manager onwards, we check the WMI credential during monitor addition as we started collecting the server credential as input parameters in IIS Server monitor itself, removing the server monitor dependency. Note: WMI credential is mandatory only to monitor Website & Application Pools statistics
If unable to add the IIS Server monitor in WMI mode, follow the below steps:
Open command prompt in administrator mode in Applications Manager-installed machine.
Navigate to <Applications Manager Home>\working\conf\application\scripts directory.
Execute the below command by replacing hostname , username and password with that of the reported IIS server:
cscript wmiget.vbs hostname username password "Select * from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfOS_Processor where Name='_Total'"
Check the output of the above command. If script output returns expected data but still unable to add monitor, try adding the monitor again with "print-all-logs" enabled.
Error shown after adding an IIS Server monitor
Check whether IIS Server URL's response header contains the keyword ' IIS ', if not, then disable ' Response Header Check ' option while adding a new monitor to bypass IIS Server URL response header check, as we look for 'IIS' keyword in the response header.
Error: Authentication failed. Kindly verify the host and port details provided.
- Check the hostname and port details in the Edit monitor page ( Go to IIS monitor page > click 'Monitor Actions' > 'Edit Monitor' ) and please update the respective values and poll the monitor and check once
Error: Authentication failed. Kindly verify the username and password provided for the Host.
- Check the username and password details in the Edit monitor page ( Go to IIS monitor page > click 'Monitor Actions' > 'Edit Monitor' ) and please update the respective values and poll the monitor and check once.
Error: Could not connect to the System. The System may be down or RPC Server is not available.
Could not connect to the System. The System may be down or RPC Server is not available.
Authentication failed. Kindly verify the username and password provided for the Host.
If any proxy configured, double-check whether the URL is accessible from the system where Applications Manager is installed.
- From Applications Manager v15120, we have removed IIS6 dependency, users with IIS Server version 7 and above can remove those dependencies if required. Following are the IIS v6 dependencies features/tools :
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility
- IIS 6 Management Console
- IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
- IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
Error: No data available for IIS Website statistics.
- User must have the permission to execute WMI queries on 'root\CIMV2 ' namespace of the IIS Server.
Steps to check the IIS Websites using AppManager script "wmiget.vbs" to execute the WMI query in the remote IIS server:
- Open the command prompt with admin privilege and traverse to the following directory "<AppManager_HOME>\working\conf\application\scripts\"
- Execute the below script to find the list of IIS websites in the remote IIS Server from AppManager installed server:
- Note: Replace HOSTNAME USERNAME PASSWORD with appropriate values of IIS Server
- cscript wmiget.vbs HOSTNAME USERNAME PASSWORD "SELECT Name , ServiceUptime FROM Win32_PerfRawData_W3SVC_WebService" > iiswebsitesoutput.txt
- To see the output, check the new text file created in the same directory "AppManager_HOME\working\conf\application\scripts\iiswebsitesoutput.txt"
Steps to check the IIS Websites and its performance metrics using WBEMTEST tool:
- Open WBEMTEST and connect to ' root\CIMV2' namespace and provide the same credentials as given in the problematic IIS Server monitor.
- Execute the below WMI query and from the result page, double click the output and click ' Show MOF ' to view the list of IIS Websites and its metrics.
SELECT Name , BytesSentPersec , BytesReceivedPersec , BytesTotalPersec , FilesSentPersec , FilesReceivedPersec , FilesPersec , CurrentAnonymousUsers , CurrentNonAnonymousUsers , AnonymousUsersPersec , NonAnonymousUsersPersec , CurrentConnections , ServiceUptime , MaximumConnections FROM Win32_PerfRawData_W3SVC_WebService
- If the WMI query returns no data or any error occurred, check once in the local server WBEMTEST tool by remoting into the IIS hosted server and verify.
Error: No data available for IIS Application Pools statistics.
- User must have the permission to execute WMI queries on ' root\WebAdministration ' namespace of the IIS Server.
- How to enable 'root\WebAdministration' namespace:
- Install the IIS WMI provider by selecting the IIS Management Scripts and Tools component under Management Tools (or Web Management Tools) in the IIS Server. Refer Microsoft reference document to know more.
- How to check the required namespaces are accessible from the AppManager installed server to the IIS Server:
- Do WBEMTest from AppManager installed server and try remoting to the IIS Server for both ' root\CIMV2 ' and ' root\WebAdministration ' namespaces using the same host, credentials as given in the IIS Server monitor.
- If unable to connect to the required namespaces, try connecting directly in the local server by remoting into IIS hosted Server using WBEMTEST tool.
- If the required namespaces are present and able to access from AppManager Server but no data for Applications Pools statistics:
- Execute the iisAppPoolList.vbs script with the host information of the problematic IIS Server monitor via command prompt.
- Navigate to < Applications Manager Home>\working\conf\application\script directory and execute the following command:
cscript iisAppPoolList.vbs hostname username password
Example : cscript iisAppPoolList.vbs iishost adminuser pwd123
- If the script results shows " Invalid namespace ", do the below steps:
- Execute the following command in a PowerShell command prompt window on the IIS server machine to verify whether the namespace 'WebAdministration' is registered or not, as below:
gwmi -namespace "root" -class "__Namespace" | Select Name
- If still not present after enabling IIS Management Scripts and Tools component under Management Tools, share us the screenshot of script output along with latest SIF file.
From Applications Manager v15120 onwards, we have removed IIS v6 dependencies which were mandatory till v15110 of Applications Manager as listed here. Users with IIS Server version 7 and above can revert those dependencies if required as we no more use 'root\MicrosoftIISv2' namespace to fetch Application Pools statistics.
Following are the IIS v6 dependencies features/tools : Under 'IIS 6 Management Compatibility' IIS 6 Management Console
IIS 6 WMI Compatibility
IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
- For Applications Manager versions below v15110, user must enable both 'root\MicrosoftIISv2' and 'root\WebAdministration' namespaces in the respective IIS Server machine.
- From Applications Manager v15120, our script will work only for IIS Server version 7 and above. If you still have IIS Server version below 7 in your environment then please contact us to get the modified script to work for both the cases.
- In that case make sure you have enabled 'IIS 6 Management Compatibility' dependency modules to enable 'root\MicrosoftIISv2' namespace.
- Note: IIS Server v6.0 supported in Windows Server 2003 edition.
- Change the log settings to 'Print all logs' ('Admin' tab > 'Product Settings' > 'Logging' > choose 'Print all logs' in 'Current log settings' ) and poll the problematic IIS Server monitor(s) and generate SIF and send us the SIF file to analyze further. Note: Finally revert the log settings to 'Print detailed Debug errors'
- Send us the IIS Monitor page and Edit monitor page screenshots.
- Execute the below queries separately and share us the output: Note: Replace '<RESOURCETYPEID>' with the respective type id.
- SELECT * FROM AM_ARGS_<RESOURCETYPEID>
- Example: SELECT * FROM AM_ARGS_10000359
- To get the RESOURCETYPEID, execute the following query
- SELECT RESOURCETYPEID FROM AM_ManagedResourceType WHERE RESOURCETYPE='IIS-server'
- Replace the RESOURCETYPEID value in the above query and then execute.
- SELECT * FROM AM_ManagedObject WHERE TYPE like '%IIS%' ORDER BY RESOURCEID
New to ADSelfService Plus?
Real User Monitor (RUM) - Troubleshooting
If the monitor has not polled data for a long time, follow the steps below for troubleshooting: Step 1: Check prerequisites to be done Real User Monitor requires the RUM Agent to be installed and mapped to the Applications Manager. Refer the help ...
Troubleshooting URL Monitor
Here are few of the common errors you may come across in URL monitor, we have mentioned the steps you can follow to troubleshoot them. General troubleshooting for URL monitor Ensure that the URL is accessible from the server in which Applications ...
IIS Server monitor - Troubleshooting 'No data available' error for IIS Websites and Application Pools statistics
Error: "No data available for IIS Website statistics." User must have the permission to execute WMI queries on 'root\CIMV2 ' namespace of the IIS Server. Steps to check the IIS Websites using AppManager script "wmiget.vbs" to execute the WMI query in ...
IIS Server monitor - Issues encountered while adding an IIS server monitor
Unable to add an IIS server monitor Prerequisites: Make sure you have performed all the prerequisites for the IIS server monitor. Follow the steps mentioned below to add an IIS server monitor: IIS Server URL accessibility: Check whether the IIS ...
Self monitor Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring
We can monitor the Applications Manager using Real User Monitoring with a Java Script injection and this can be used to measure the Applications Manager's performance continuously. All you need is to install and setup the Real User Monitoring (RUM) ...