How to Configure SNMP Service (Add SNMP Read/Write community string) on Windows devices
Question: How to Configure SNMP Service (Add “public” community string)
- Click on Start button, then go to Control Panel.
- Open "Service/SNMP" (Click Start > type "services.msc inside run window)
- Locate and right click on SNMP Service, then select Properties.
- In SNMP Service Properties window
- Click on Security tab.
- Under “Accepted community names” section, click Add button.
- Select the appropriate permission level for the community string in the “Community Rights” drop down list to specify how the host processes SNMP requests from the selected community. Normally READ ONLY is recommended.
- In the “Community Name” box, type public or any case-sensitive community name that you want ( This read community should be configured in OpManager to monitor this device )
- Click on Add button.
- In order for the SNMP service to accept and receive SNMP request packets from any host on the network, including external remote host regardless of identity, click Accept SNMP packets from any host.
To limit the acceptance of SNMP packets, click Accept SNMP packets from these hosts, and then click Add, and then type the appropriate host name, IP or IPX address in the Host name, IP or IPX address box. You can restrict the access to local host or limited servers only by using this setting. Finish off by clicking Add button again.
You need to add OpManager IP address or name here if "Accept SNMP packets from these hosts" is selected.
- Click OK when done. Note that you may need to restart SNMP service for the settings to take effect.
New to ADSelfService Plus?